Shamima Begum


Court of Appeal turns down Shamima Begum appeal to challenge citizenship ruling.

August 2024

Shamima Begum’s appeal to overturn the government’s decision to remove her British citizenship was turned down by the Court of Appeal on 7 August. They said her appeal ‘[did] not raise an arguable point of law’. She fled the country in 2015 with two others – now believed to be dead – in order to join ISIS then in the process of trying to establish an Islamic caliphate. ISIS committed a number of horrific crimes, including beheadings, and large numbers of people died during their violent reign.

Begum was 15 when she fled and once there, she became a bride, had three children all of whom died young. She is now 24 and is living in al-Roij camp in Syria. A great deal of rage settled on her and various commentators have tried to understand this – why her? Partly it seems to be a mixture of misogyny and the fact she did not conform to the standard narrative of someone who had done what she did and now sought forgiveness. She became a kind of figurehead for the rage people felt about the terrible actions of ISIS. It also seems to have been forgotten that she was a child of 15 when she left.

Removing someone’s citizenship is a severe retribution however and seems to have been done by the then home secretary Said Javid in response to tabloid rage. The argument that she was a ‘threat to national security’ is absurd and in what way was never explained. It has never been claimed that she committed any atrocity. How she would be a threat if she returned to the UK is also not explained. The government tried to argue that she could become a Bangladeshi citizen, an argument Lord Sumption described as a ‘legal fiction’.

Amnesty has issued a press release on this topic.

“It’s deeply concerning that the Supreme Court has concluded there’s no point of law to be considered on such a serious matter as stripping a British person of her citizenship – particularly when that was done on the back of her being exploited as a 15-year-old child.

Stripping Shamima Begum’s nationality was profoundly wrong – she is and has always been British.

Begum is now exiled in dangerous and inhuman conditions, along with thousands of other people, including women and children, in north-east Syria”.

The UK should follow others by taking responsibility for nationals stranded in Syria – including by assisting in their safe return to the UK, whether or not that means facing possible criminal investigation or prosecution on their return.”

It is interesting to note that in an article in the Daily Mail on line, they report that the residents of Bethnal Green (where Shamima Begum used to live) would ‘welcome her back’.

There is now likely to be an appeal to the European Court of Human rights.

Death penalty report


Latest death penalty report for mid July – August

August 2024

We are pleased to attach the latest monthly report on the state of the death penalty around the world thanks to group member Lesley for her work in compiling it. Note as ever that China does not feature where the use of the penalty is a state secret and who are believed to execute more of their citizens than the rest of the world combined.

Starmer’s wish to see more facial recognition technology


The prime minister wishes to see more facial recognition technology following riots in Southport and elsewhere

August 2024

Following the terrible murder of three little girls and the wounding of eight others in Southport last week, riots have broken out in various parts of the UK. A mixture of extremists and far right groups have assembled outside mosques and refugee centres to engage in violent acts including attacks on the police. These groups have claimed links to asylum seekers and immigrants to the murders and this has led them to take these violent actions. Several people phoning in the the BBC’s Any Answers programme on Saturday 3 August, made claims linking the murders to boat people even though the young man who has been charged is from Cardiff and is not a boat person.

People have been rightly outraged by the high-jacking of the tragic deaths of the three little girls by large numbers of far right groups many of whom travel to the area with the intention of engaging in violence. There is a natural desire to see these people to be identified, arrested and brought to justice. There is great pressure on the new government to ‘do something’ and the Home Secretary and the Prime Minister have made statements. The latter has called for the greater use of facial recognition technology (FR) in the task of identifying ‘thugs’.

We should be very wary of going down this path. It has echoes of Jeremy Bentham’s idea of a panopticon in the nineteenth century: a prison where prisoners could be watched at all times. It fed into the idea of complete control by governments or their agents as a means of social control.

There are several reasons for being wary of introducing more FR. Although it could be used to locate and arrest those involved in the current mayhem or any future outbreaks, it would introduce into the public realm greater powers for the police and politicians. The last decade has seen a number of laws enacted to prevent or seriously limit protests and demonstrations. Britain has had a history of such protests and they have led to improvements in the role of women in society, better housing, an end to slavery and a range of social improvements and rights for ordinary people. This technology would however, give police considerably enhanced powers to clamp down on protests. We may deplore the sometimes extreme actions of the climate protestors, but without such protests, the government would be unlikely to take action of climate change.

To tackle the violence and riots in other words, we would be giving the government enhanced powers over other forms of legitimate protest. There is also the vexed issue of control. The various scandals we have seen in recent years including the Post Office, the biggest one of all, have shown an inability by the vast range of controls, audits, select committees, etc. etc. to exert any kind of realistic control over these organisations. They achieve lives of their own and seem impervious to moral principles or honest dealings. Do we really want to give them yet more technology?

Another objection is that it would give yet more power to the tech giants over our lives. A feature of the riots is how easy it has been for rioters to assemble by using such media as X and Telegram. These are American firms and are more of less completely outside anyone’s control. It was Elon Musk who decided to allow Tommy Robinson back onto X for example. So we have politicians and journalists making speeches, statements and writing opinion pieces, when it was the decision by one man on the other side of the pond which has provided a key weapon for the far right groups. Although Sir Keir is making noises about the tech giants, will the government actually do anything?

Finally, it sees the solution to these problems in technological terms: we have problem, lets install some more kit and problem solved. The issues are much deeper than simply arresting some thugs. Poverty, low wages, poor housing, inflation and a host of other issues have led to groups of people feeling left behind or ignored by the politicians and to an extent the media.

We should think very carefully before giving politicians yet more power to intrude into our lives. Even though it may mean some of the rioters escaping justice. China has this system installed offering the government almost complete control over its citizens. They have 700 million such cameras used widely as a means to monitor its citizens and to repress minorities. Perhaps we should remember the Chinese proverb ‘a journey of a thousand miles begins with just a single step’. Our liberties are fragile and we should be extremely cautious of giving government’s powers to limit them further. It has the power to be the biggest threat to human rights and civil liberties in the UK.

The Vigils continue


August 2024

Here we are in August and we are still holding our weekly vigil in Salisbury market. Over 30 attended during the half hour session and it was all good natured this time. There seems no end to the conflict in Gaza: faint peace hopes were extinguished when the senior Hamas chief, Ismael Haniyeh was killed in Tehran. Some reports refer to a missile strike but later it appeared to have been a bomb placed in the house where he stays in the city, activated from afar. Israel has not claimed responsibility but it is assumed to be by them.

In any event, it has inflamed tensions and together with activity in Lebanon, any prospect of peace looks further away than ever. It is likely after Netanyahu’s rapturous reception in the American Congress last week, he is emboldened to take this kind of action. Retaliation is likely from Iran and so it goes on. Patrick Cockburn writing in the i newspaper (3 August) says that “Israel is getting locked into wars it will not lose – but cannot win”.

Vigil continues …


Salisbury Vigil still continues and is well supported

July 2024

Ten months since the terrible attack by Hamas and the start of the assault on Gaza and people still turn out on a Saturday to demonstrate their wish for peace. Just under 40 attended today (27 July). This week saw the rapturous reception of Benjamin Netanyahu by most of the Congress and Senate and heard his speech which contained many untruths. Peace in Gaza looks as far off as ever and today were reports of more attacks with 50 dead and around 200 injured. As long as the US supports Israel it does not seem likely that a peace deal is going to happen.

The politics changed in the US this week with President Biden agreeing to stand aside from the election and Kamala Harris looking set to be the presidential candidate. She has a more robust attitude to the conflict so it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

The UK position seems to be hardening and the new government does not appear to be stuck on following the US lead and is even thinking of reviewing the sale of arms to Israel.

We will be back in the market square in Salisbury at 5 pm as usual for half and hour.

Butter market, Salisbury

Change in position over Israel


Labour government withdraws its objection to an International Arrest Warrant for Netanyahu

July 2024

The newly elected Labour government has withdrawn the objection to the International Court of Justice issuing arrest warrants for Benjamin Netanyahu and Yoav Gallant it has just been announced. Following the Hamas atrocity on October 7th last year, Israel has waged a series of attacks on Gaza destroying huge parts of the enclave, destroying all but two of the hospitals and leaving over 38,000 dead. Other estimates suggest the death toll is around 186,000 dead if bodies in buildings are included. This suggests the new government will take a tougher line over Israel’s actions than the previous administration. Israel maintains it is going after Hamas targets but the death toll includes large numbers of children suggesting attacks are not sufficiently targeted. The Conservative government argued that the ICJ did not have jurisdiction over Israel.

There are also suggestions – unconfirmed at present – that the new government may be taking a hard look at weapons sales and perhaps limiting the amount or range that can be sold.

A decision by the ICJ to issue a warrant has not been taken yet.

Mr Netanyahu was in Washington this week and received a standing ovation from Congress. In his speech Mr Netanyahu referred several times to the ICJ and suggested some of the claims made by them and others were false. These included the suggestion that Israel was deliberately starving the people of Gaza claiming that it is ‘utter complete nonsense’ and an ‘complete fabrication.’ Unfortunately, according to agencies on the ground it is not. Only a fraction of the aid is allowed to enter and Israel imposes a constant stream of restrictions preventing significant quantities of aid to enter the territory. Since May, only just over 2,000 trucks have been allowed in. His other claims about sufficient warnings given before civilian areas bombed for example have also been refuted by those on the ground.

Nevertheless, Netanyahu continues to enjoy political support in Washington and his reception in the Congress was rapturous. Outside Congress however, there were loud protests.

It is clear that the activities of the IDF in Gaza and the resulting death toll, is causing serious problems in Western capitals. The indiscriminate bombings are in breach of international law. The shock and sympathy which greeted the appalling attack on October 7th is rapidly disappearing as continuous images of bombed hospitals and civilians fleeing the latest bombing attack are aired.


There will be a demonstration in Bournemouth this Sunday 28th July starting at 12:30 in Bournemouth Gardens.

There will be a peace Vigil again today (Saturday) in Salisbury Market place at 5pm for half an hour.

Vigil


Encouraging vigil this Saturday with several joining us

July 2024

We had to move to the steps of the Library today because of the bad weather. We swelled to around 40 as several people joined us which was encouraging. We had no aggression or individuals shouting this week but by contrast, a number of people giving us the thumbs up and a lot taking photos.

This week saw the International Criminal Court deciding that Israel’s settlement policies and exploitation of resources in the occupied territories were in breach of international law. They say Israel should pay reparations. Israel does not recognise the ICC. There are now over 100 settlements and around 200,000 Israelis living in them.

There are now thought to be 38,700 dead although as we have noted in a previous post, the total dead is thought to be around 186,000 according to the Lancet.

Other news includes the decision by the new Labour government to resume aid to UNWRA to the tune of £32m. UNWRA are the only agency able to offer aid at scale and many countries stopped funding their operations following accusations that some of their staff were active in the October 7th atrocity. It is understood however that the Israeli authorities have not been able to substantiate their claims or provide evidence.

There will be another Vigil next Saturday, 27th at 5pm

Vigil 32


July 2024

Vigil continues but with a little more aggression shown

We are still carrying on with the Vigil each Saturday and the numbers were back up over 30. This time we had a little aggression towards us with one man claiming that Palestinians were terrorists. A second man kept up a prolonged and loudly delivered series of arguments which included the question why do/did we not hold similar vigils for other conflicts such as Iraq? He disputed the Lancet figures of 186,000 dead although it was not clear that he had read the report (it was found for him).

We shall be back next Saturday at 5pm as usual for half an hour.

Pic: Salisbury Amnesty

Minutes, July


July 2024

We are pleased to attach the minutes of the group’s meeting on 12 July thanks to group member Lesley for their preparation.

Refugee report


Refugee report for June. Rwanda policy abandoned

July 2024

Following the General Election, a new approach to the issue of immigration and asylum seeking has been promised. Straight away the new government declared the policy to deport irregular immigrants to Rwanda would no longer be pursued. It is not known whether Rwanda will return the £270 million received in advance. The new Home Secretary, Yvette Cooper, will review the position by 1st October following complaints from asylum seekers rounded up in preparation for flights to Rwanda. It was also intimated that changes would be made to the Illegal Migration Act of 2023.

Also quickly out of the blocks was a group of some 300 refugee and human rights organisations who jointly wrote to the prime minister with a proposal for a new approach to the issue. And the IPPR have produced a plan for the first 100 days under the new government.

The letter writers set out nine key demands including:

  • Restoring the right to seek asylum by repealing the Illegal Migration and Nationality and Borders Acts
  • Safe routes including visa routes enabling families to reunite.
  • Housing applicants in communities rather than camps.
  • Restoring the right to work within six months of arrival.

The IPPR report notes the new government’s plan to create a Border Security Command, essentially to deal with the people smugglers, but the Institute is looking for a more holistic approach to all aspects of boat crossings and border control. They also point out that the UK will be hosting the European Political Community meeting this month where, among other issues, the new Europe-wide Asylum and Migration Management Regulation will be on the agenda (the aim is to spread the application requirements more fairly.

The Institute also urges the government to expedite removing the backlog of applications (the new backlog, not the one the previous government claimed to have eliminated), offering various suggestions as to ways of doing this.

As a matter of record, the number of claimants crossing the Channel this year is, at over 13,000, a record for the equivalent period. The backlog is now at 120,000, and the number of cases gone to appeal is 27,000.

Andrew Hemming

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑