Salisbury Market Square Vigil: 39th Gathering for Peace


Vigil continues

September 2024

The 39th Vigil was held yesterday (31st August) in the market square as usual. Over 30 attended with a scattering of people joining in as they passed. The death toll is over 40,000 and there seems little sign of a peace deal. Efforts last week seem to have come to nought. There has been a short cessation of hostilities to enable the UN to carry out polio vaccinations.

ADDITION: the brutal murder by Hamas of six of the hostages has sent shockwaves around the world and has led to tens of thousands of Israelis to protest over the government’s failure to secure a peace deal and the release of the remaining hostages.

We shall be there again next week starting at 5pm in Salisbury market place next to the Library. All are welcome.

Tinderbox: a film


Film about the Israeli/Palestine conflict to be shown next month

September 2024

The film Tinderbox is to be shown at the United Reform Church in Fisherton Street, Salisbury on Monday 7th October starting at 7pm. Entry is free. It is a Christian Aid Film.

The conflict rages in Gaza and settler violence has increased in the West Bank. Over 40,000 are now dead in Gaza and prospects for peace being discussed only a week or so ago seem moribund. There has been a pause in hostilities to enable UN agencies to administer polio vaccine following an outbreak of this highly contagious disease.

The film was written and directed by Gillian Mosely who is Jewish and consists of a range of interviews with representatives of both sides of the conflict. It has received mixed reviews, the Times calling it ‘trite’ and the Jewish Chronicle said it was ‘thought provoking but out of its depth’ however the story itself concludes that ‘it does a great job in laying out some of the important moments in Israel’s history …’ Both the JC review and the Guardian found it strange that she did not interview friends or her own family although an educated guess might provide good reasons why not.

A detailed review published in the Conversation is worth reading giving an historical context to this conflict.

Vigil


August 2024

COMPLETED EVENT

The Vigil takes place this evening (August 17th) in Salisbury Market Place starting at 5pm for half an hour. Over 40,000 are now dead in Gaza in what is certain to be an underestimate since many bodies lie unrecovered under the rubble. Reports yesterday of settler violence in the West Bank with cars and property set alight by marauding gangs and a Palestinian man killed. The violence has increased dramatically this year.

A glimmer of hope …


The West-Eastern Divan Orchestra brings a glimmer of hope to a troubled region

August 2024

The news from the Middle East is uniformly grim with the death toll in Gaza rising remorselessly to over 39,000 with more deaths a day or so ago following a bombing. Violence is emerging in Lebanon which threatens to worsen following the events in Tehran. A peace deal seems as far away as ever. Salisbury people still congregate every Saturday afternoon for a peace vigil.

The West-Eastern Divan Orchestra is a rare glimmer of light in the seemingly never ending gloom of conflict. Founded 25 years ago, and based in Seville, it is an orchestra consisting of both Arab and Israeli players with three desks for Iranians. Founded by Danial Barenboim and Edward Said, it is not a political venture but:

The Divan is not a love story, and it is not a peace story. It has very flatteringly been described as a project for peace. It isn’t. It’s not going to bring peace, whether you play well or not so well. The Divan was conceived as a project against ignorance. A project against the fact that it is absolutely essential for people to get to know the other, to understand what the other thinks and feels, without necessarily agreeing with it. I’m not trying to convert the Arab members of the Divan to the Israeli point of view, and [I’m] not trying to convince the Israelis to the Arab point of view. But I want to—and unfortunately I am alone in this now that Edward died a few years ago—create a platform where the two sides can disagree and not resort to knives.

Barenboim emphasises the role of dialogue and a feature of recent conflict is to note that there are people on both sides, who recognise the opinions, feelings and rights of the other. The orchestra performed at the Proms last evening (11th August) in a concert consisting of Brahms’s Violin concerto performed by Anne-Sophi Mutter, followed by Schubert’s 9th Symphony ‘the Great’. Looking down on the 80 or so players, could one tell them apart, Arab from Jew? Would one want to? A band of people from two nations tearing themselves apart, sublimely playing two wonderful pieces of music offering a glimmer of hope …

West-Eastern Divan Orchestra with Daniel Barenboim accepting applause.

Vigils continue


August 2024

The 36th Vigil took place again this Saturday, 10 August 2024 with just over 30 in attendance. When these Vigils started we did not imagine they would still be going and would attract continued support. This time we were joined by some passers by.

In that connection it is perhaps interesting to comment on the reaction of people walking past. Around 90 or so people took notice of what we were doing and registered (probably) that we were in support of peace in the region and a few took photos. This was around a quarter of those passing by. Many simply did not notice, hurrying home after work or rushing to catch a bus. Some quickly looked away for reasons we cannot know.

The conflict continues and the death toll stands at over 39,000. There seems to be no credible attempts at present to secure a ceasefire.

The next is on Saturday 17th at 5pm as usual.

Change in position over Israel


Labour government withdraws its objection to an International Arrest Warrant for Netanyahu

July 2024

The newly elected Labour government has withdrawn the objection to the International Court of Justice issuing arrest warrants for Benjamin Netanyahu and Yoav Gallant it has just been announced. Following the Hamas atrocity on October 7th last year, Israel has waged a series of attacks on Gaza destroying huge parts of the enclave, destroying all but two of the hospitals and leaving over 38,000 dead. Other estimates suggest the death toll is around 186,000 dead if bodies in buildings are included. This suggests the new government will take a tougher line over Israel’s actions than the previous administration. Israel maintains it is going after Hamas targets but the death toll includes large numbers of children suggesting attacks are not sufficiently targeted. The Conservative government argued that the ICJ did not have jurisdiction over Israel.

There are also suggestions – unconfirmed at present – that the new government may be taking a hard look at weapons sales and perhaps limiting the amount or range that can be sold.

A decision by the ICJ to issue a warrant has not been taken yet.

Mr Netanyahu was in Washington this week and received a standing ovation from Congress. In his speech Mr Netanyahu referred several times to the ICJ and suggested some of the claims made by them and others were false. These included the suggestion that Israel was deliberately starving the people of Gaza claiming that it is ‘utter complete nonsense’ and an ‘complete fabrication.’ Unfortunately, according to agencies on the ground it is not. Only a fraction of the aid is allowed to enter and Israel imposes a constant stream of restrictions preventing significant quantities of aid to enter the territory. Since May, only just over 2,000 trucks have been allowed in. His other claims about sufficient warnings given before civilian areas bombed for example have also been refuted by those on the ground.

Nevertheless, Netanyahu continues to enjoy political support in Washington and his reception in the Congress was rapturous. Outside Congress however, there were loud protests.

It is clear that the activities of the IDF in Gaza and the resulting death toll, is causing serious problems in Western capitals. The indiscriminate bombings are in breach of international law. The shock and sympathy which greeted the appalling attack on October 7th is rapidly disappearing as continuous images of bombed hospitals and civilians fleeing the latest bombing attack are aired.


There will be a demonstration in Bournemouth this Sunday 28th July starting at 12:30 in Bournemouth Gardens.

There will be a peace Vigil again today (Saturday) in Salisbury Market place at 5pm for half an hour.

Vigil


Encouraging vigil this Saturday with several joining us

July 2024

We had to move to the steps of the Library today because of the bad weather. We swelled to around 40 as several people joined us which was encouraging. We had no aggression or individuals shouting this week but by contrast, a number of people giving us the thumbs up and a lot taking photos.

This week saw the International Criminal Court deciding that Israel’s settlement policies and exploitation of resources in the occupied territories were in breach of international law. They say Israel should pay reparations. Israel does not recognise the ICC. There are now over 100 settlements and around 200,000 Israelis living in them.

There are now thought to be 38,700 dead although as we have noted in a previous post, the total dead is thought to be around 186,000 according to the Lancet.

Other news includes the decision by the new Labour government to resume aid to UNWRA to the tune of £32m. UNWRA are the only agency able to offer aid at scale and many countries stopped funding their operations following accusations that some of their staff were active in the October 7th atrocity. It is understood however that the Israeli authorities have not been able to substantiate their claims or provide evidence.

There will be another Vigil next Saturday, 27th at 5pm

Vigil 32


July 2024

Vigil continues but with a little more aggression shown

We are still carrying on with the Vigil each Saturday and the numbers were back up over 30. This time we had a little aggression towards us with one man claiming that Palestinians were terrorists. A second man kept up a prolonged and loudly delivered series of arguments which included the question why do/did we not hold similar vigils for other conflicts such as Iraq? He disputed the Lancet figures of 186,000 dead although it was not clear that he had read the report (it was found for him).

We shall be back next Saturday at 5pm as usual for half an hour.

Pic: Salisbury Amnesty

Vigil #29


Encouraging numbers attended the Vigil

June 2024

Over 40 attended the Vigil this Saturday evening (22nd June) and encouragingly, the numbers swelled with new passers by stopping and spending time with us. This is especially encouraging since a lot of reporting is now focused on the general election and news of Gaza has dropped down the running order or has disappeared altogether. Approaching 37,000 have died in Gaza during the conflict and it shows little sign of ending.

We are pleased to include a video clip of this Vigil made by Peter Gloyn.

During the week, power in the West Bank passed from the IDF to the far-right politician Bezalel Smotrich in a move likely to cause more misery. There will be few controls on settler violence and further annexations have already started. Smotrich and his supporters are now in control of the West Bank and the violence against Palestinians is certain to increase thus further increasing tensions.

Previous post: UK selling arms to Israel

Picture: Salisbury Amnesty

1719676800

  days

  hours  minutes  seconds

until

Vigil #30

Vigil – 6 months


June 2024

Group members attended the Vigil in Salisbury Market Place yesterday and the numbers were back up to well over 30 who came. There were new faces as well as the stalwarts. It’s six months since we have been going to these and the violence in Gaza and the West Bank shows no sign of abating. Peace talks don’t look as though they are going anywhere. The US and President Biden are looking increasingly powerless as time goes by.

The Salisbury group was established 50 years ago this year

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑