The monthly meeting took place on Thursday, 12 June.
The following were discussed:
- there was an update on the death penalty from Lesley and her report will be a separate post in a few days. It was noted that the Devizes group were active with Hakamada Iwao who was probably the longest serving prisoner on death row but is now on release. We are waiting advice from AIUK on the campaign in Belarus
- an email has been received from Kenny Latunda Dada concerning North Korea and he has a speaker on that country. This will be investigated
- John Glen MP. 11 July has been confirmed for him to speak to the group which will be in the Methodist Church at 7:30. It is restricted to members and supporters. We are to let AIUK know of this event
- Unfortunately the regional rep could not come to this meeting but is coming to the next
- Peter said he had received no copy from anyone and was reluctant to write an entire newsletter. It was agreed that it would wait until after 11 July
- Magna Carta. The group were very disappointed not to have heard from AI HQ following the contact Kate Allen had made with Robert Key. Fiona is to write to the regional rep to complain. Peter is to contact the manager of the MC event being organised by the cathedral. It was unlikely that there would be any money coming from the City Council as they had awarded money to the Cathedral project
- Cathedral service in November: Tony is to follow up
- Film. Omar has been agreed on as this years film. More details in future. To be shown on 4 December
- The stall is on Saturday 21st!